Monday, November 4, 2013

An email from Sister Allen

I love Loomis!
 
It is truly amazing at how well our Heavenly Father knows each and every one of us. I know I am supposed to be here in Loomis at this time and am grateful that Heavenly Father knew that as well. I had a really hard time last Monday saying goodbye to all of the people in Yuba City, but I knew on Sunday night that I was going to  be called to a different place. It just felt like it was time. I have really enjoyed my time here in Loomis so far. My companion is Sister Laws and she is seriously awesome. She has been out for 3 1/2 months, she came out with Sister Macdonald. I knew we would be companions one day, honestly. I actually thought she was going to be the one I trained and so did she, but I think the Lord's perfect time was now. Sister Laws and I get along really well. She is so awesome. Sister Laws is from Blanding, Utah, did some school at SUU, and is 21. We are going to do great things together here in Loomis.
 
Let me tell you a little about Loomis. Loomis is completely opposite of Yuba City. Yuba was more suburbs and Loomis is more of the country. A lot of people have beautiful, gigantic, houses on acres and acres of land. The roads are tiny and I really didn't know how I was going to like it at first, but I realize now that i LOVE it. Our ward is seriously amazing and I have been so well taken care of ever since I have been here. We live in a members home and I was also pretty worried about not liking that living situation. The Tompsons are amazing though. They are the cutest couple and I have actually loved living there. We have our own seperate room that is over the garage and it feels  nice being in a real home.
 
With a new area, comes new investigators. We have five progressing investigators right now and I'll tell you a little about each of them.
 
Wendy has been investigating the church for about a month. She has a lot of struggles and just had to leave work because of inflamed nerve damage in her neck. The last couple of times the missionaries have met with her, they haven't been able to really have a lesson. She loves  to talk and is very spiritual, so it is sometimes hard to get a lesson started. On Friday, we went over to Wendy's and taught her the entire Plan of Salvation lesson. It was so awesome! She agreed with everything we had to say and even said, "You know what, I think I want to be baptized." In a previous lesson, she told the sisters that she was baptized Catholic when she was a baby and didnt understand why she needed to be baptized again. But this time it was as if she had a total change of heart and honestly desired to be bapitzed. We are going to set a baptismal date with her tonight at our lesson! We are aiming for November 23rd. So exciting!
 
Tony is another one of our investigators. His wife and two kids are all members and they have been working on him forever so he will be baptized. His wife really feels like now is the time and we can slowly see his heart softening up to the idea of being baptized. Their family is seriously awesome and we are over there all the time. Tony's wife takes care of us and makes sure we have everything we need. His wife feels like it is going to happen at the end of this year. December 28th is the date we are all praying for and feel really good about. He just doesn't know it yet. haha.
 
Gerald has been taking the missionary discussions for over a year now. He is an older man in his late 60s and literally has no word of wisdom issues or anything. The only thing he is lacking is faith. He hopes a lot, but doesn't really have the faith that anything will happen. Missionaries have taught him all the lessons and he is on his second time through the Book of Mormon. He thinks he has to read it three times for it to be true and for him to have an answer...We also found out on Friday that he has been meeting with the Jehovah's Witness missionaries every Saturday for a while now. That came as a surprise. Those J Dubs are always trying to steal our investigators, danget. I think we have gone through all the scriptures on baptism, faith, and gaining an answer for himself. We just think he might be time. He calls himself a member of the "slow learning group", so we are just going to patiently wait for him to be ready for baptism.
 
I have been dying from allergies this past week. A couple of the houses we have been at, have cats and they really don't stay away from us  when we are there. In Yuba, they at least were in the other room and so it wasn't as much of a problem. I dont know if cats out here just dont get the love they need or what, cause they seriously jump on you and everything. Its sick.
 
I didnt realize how much I had really learned in Yuba City until I left. I was thinking this morning of that saying, you don't realize what you got, until its gone. My gospel knowledge increased so much while I was in Yuba City. Being in lessons here in Loomis has really helped me realize how much I have learned from everyone around me. The way I teach and my testimony is solidified from the amazing things ward members and other investigators taught me in Yuba City. Makes me excited to see all I can learn here in Loomis.
 
Hope everyone had an awesome Halloween night. We had to be home right after dinner and stayed in the rest of the night. We helped the Thomson's pass out full size candy bars to some of the trick or treaters and Sister Laws ran around in her super rad Batman pajamas. It was a good night and we had a great time.
 
I hope you all are seeing my Facebook posts and enjoying them. If you ever like anything, please share it with your other friends! Facebook is a great tool to use for sharing the gospel and we need to use it to its fullest potential.
 
I am really grateful for this gospel in my life.  I have come to know so much in these last (almost) 5 months and can't wait to learn so much more. I constantly review my patriarchal blessing and setting apart blessing for answers and I am so grateful that we have these kinds of resources to learn and grow from. I constantly thank my Heavenly Father for the resources He has given each of us to learn from.
 
I love you all so much!
 
Love,
 
Sister Allen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment