Monday, October 28, 2013

An email from Sister Allen




Transfers are IN, and i'm OUT
 
Hope everyone had a wonderful week! 

Last night, around 9:45pm, Sister MacDonald and I anxiously awaited transfer calls. Sure enough, my feelings were right and I am being transferred. I will be transferred down to Loomis, CA. My companion is Sister Laws, who has been out for about 3 months now. I will be senior companion and I am very excited for this opportunity! Change is hard, but change is good! I am sad to be leaving the Feather River ward and my wonderful companion that I have grown so close to , but I am ready for a new adventure. Heavenly Father knows exactly where I need to be and I trust that there are opportunities, miracles, and His children waiting there for me. 
This past week was great! Nice and long though, as we were nervous and constantly thinking about what was going to happen with transfers. 
This week I have been trying to work on following promptings from the spirit. Gracie sent me an amazing talk from the August Ensign that I had read before, but decided to read once more this week. Revelation and promptings come in their own time and in their own way. They come when we are least expecting it.I would suggest you all read this amazing ensign article. http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/08/in-his-own-time-in-his-own-way?lang=eng&query=
We had an awesome experience with Ricky, the homeless man outside the post office. We taught him the Restoration on Tuesday morning and told him about the 17 points of the true church. He was very interested by these 17 points and asked us to post them on his Facebook. At first I thought he just wanted us to post them on his wall, but then he began spelling out his email address and password for us to log on to his Facebook with. Haha. We posted the 17 points and checked on it the next day. His Facebook was blown up with comments from his friends and family. I guess Ricky hadn't been on Facebook in a while and his family had no idea where he was or even if he was alive. His brother, who he hadn't talked to in 15 years, got a hold of us and asked if there was any way that Ricky could contact him. We were able to go back to the post office and allow Ricky to use our phone to call his brother. It was the sweetest thing to see him talk to his brother. Felt good to help Ricky reconnect with his family. Because he is homeless, he doesnt really make Facebook a priority, but we were glad that his family was able to find out that he was doing well.
Our ward had their Chili Cook Off/Trunk or Treat on Saturday night. This whole week we were constantly inviting Less Actives to this event. So many people showed up! Sister Mac and I were asked to be the chili judges and I have never tasted so much chili in my life. Every single one of them tasted differently. The Spanish branch was invited too and it was a full house. We had a really good time and the ward provided 4 huge bags of candy for us to pass out of our trunk. The Martins even gave us this crazy cool light and we had a light show going. :) So fun! 
We said goodbye to Brad (recent convert) after church yesterday. He is off to Afghanistan for the next eight months and it was pretty hard to say goodbye. He was able to pass the sacrament and said the opening prayer during sacrament meeting as well. It has been awesome seeing him grow his testimony. He is such a legit member of the church and is so willing to grow and learn in the gospel. The ward has been awesome with helping him feel comfortable and I am grateful to know Brad.

Yesterday afternoon, I had one of the funniest rejections I have had so far on the mission. We received a referral from the ward that we were going to contact. We parked the car, said a prayer, and started walking over to this house. The front door was open and there was a screen door there. 5 or 6 dogs heard us coming up to the door and were barking like crazy. We came around the corner and there was this old woman standing there behind the screen door, with her hands up in the air saying, "GOODBYE! GOOODBYYYEEE!! GOOD.....BYE!!!" I tried asking her if Lindsay, our referral lived here, and she just kept waving her hands at us and yelling "GOODBYEEEE!!!" We turned around and walked right back to the door and I couldn't help but laugh.

Today is going to be a sad day saying goodbye to the ward and our recent converts. I have really been taken care of in the Feather River ward and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to serve here in Yuba City. The people I have met, taught, and come in contact with have changed my life. I am a better person and missionary because of my companion and will miss Sister Mac so much. 
My new address in Loomis is:
5953 Mareta Lane
Loomis, CA 95650
I love you all and miss you all so much! I hope you all are doing well and I pray for you all every day. Thank you again for all the letters and support. They mean the world to me! 
Love,
Sister Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment