Monday, October 6, 2014

spiritual questions receive spiritual answers.


Last Saturday night is when I found out that Jessica was going to the temple. P. Marston called me back late Tuesday night to let me know that I could go as long as I found someone to take me there and back. I prayed and prayed Tuesday and Wednesday that Heavenly Father would allow me to be there in the temple with Jessica, if it be his will. I messaged person after person on Wednesday and no one seemed to be free. That night I finally got desperate enough to post a fb status about it, as I'm sure you all saw. Literally ten minutes after posting the status, my prayers were answered and the Weavers, a recent convert family from my Chico Ward offered to drive me all the way back up to Anderson on their anniversary and the day they would be sealed! Talk about gracious. The temple was an amazing experience. As I sat there in the session waiting for it start, I just sat there thinking about how blessed I am to be where I am. I don't want to be anywhere but here. As I watched Jessica, I kept thinking to myself, "this is what it is all about. this is why you are doing what you are doing." It was a beautiful experience to see Jessica in her temple white and just a little over a year ago, she was sitting in baptism white. I love this work! There is nothing more fulfilling or worth our time than the work of The Lord. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father allowed me to be there for Jessica's special day! 

Friday morning we got to watch a special pre screening of "Meet the Mormons". The Missionary Department in Salt Lake sent us a DVD copy of the full length movie to the mission and the councilors in the mission presidency traveled around to each zone to show the film. I have got to tell you that it is AMAZING! I was so impressed with the movie! Go see it! It so worth it and don't forget to take your nonmember friends with you. :)

Was conference awesome or what? Honestly I can't believe that this will be the last conference I watch as a missionary. I got so emotional every time they prayed for the missionaries and our family and friends. Not much longer will that apply to me... Enough of that though, seriously one thing after another was testifying to my heart. We watched every single session with either a less active, recent convert, or investigator. Friday night we got a call from the Gifford family telling us that their daughter Jenalee (the same one who is best friends with taylor who just got baptized) had a non member friend staying the night and would be watching all four sessions of conference with them. We went over there Saturday morning, then watched the afternoon session with a returning less active Rochelle at Sister McArron's home. Rochelle has been a member for around 20 years, but hasn't come to church in a loooong time. She comes almost every week now and is working REALLY hard to try and quit smoking. Rochelle is hard of hearing, but thankfully we found a way to put captions on the TV and she was able to understand the whole afternoon session of conference. Her pen was to her notebook that entire time. She received so much inspiration which was a real  lessing, because she has a very hard time understanding things that go on in church and in our lessons because we just can't seem to talk loud enough. This was her first time ever watching conference and I think she's hooked. After conference on Saturday we went over to contact a less active that one of the members in our ward referred us to. Sister Taylor has been being visited by the  lders, but she has a house full of girls, so they have never been able to go in. Sister Taylor let us in immediately. She has three foster kids and a bunch of grandkids that she takes care of, so it was hard for her to get to church or even pay attention to general conference. I felt like I should offer to have us come over the next morning and said we would bring some conference bingo to help occupy the kids. The next morning the kids loved it and Sister Taylor was actually able to get something out of conference! The kids all kept asking why they hadn't gone to church in such a long time and I think the pressures on for Sister Taylor to get them to church! Sunday afternoon session was at the Whitmores. They fed us a huge lunch and we were able to help them realize how important the temple was. Ed admitted that he was nervous because he thinks he doesn't know enough yet, but we reassured him that the best place to go to learn is the temple! Anwyays, conference was seriously amazing! My favorite talks were by Elder Holland (of course), Tad R. Callister, and Elder Klebingat of the Seventy. Go watch them if you haven't already! Also, the talk by Elder Ballard about the "ship of Zion"....wasn't that one good? There were too many good talks! 

"Acknowledge and face your weaknesses, but don't be immobilized by them." -Klebingat
"I may not be my brothers keeper, but I am my brothers brother." -Holland 

This conference has helped me rededicate myself to be a little better and to stand strong in my beliefs. Reaffirm for yourselves that the gospel is true. Gain a testimony of Joseph Smith. You need a strong testimony of this gospel now more than ever. Remember that following the prophet will always be the right choice.

Here's a challenge for all of you. Do me a favor this week. Get on Facebook and share at least one thing you learned at General Conference. Every single one of you. Please. That's my only request!
I love you all! Don't forget to say your prayers. Especially morning prayers. Each of us needs that added spiritual protection before we step out into the world. I loved that suggestion from the apostles.

Have a good week! 

xoxo,

Sister Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment